Saturday, September 17, 2011

Insights regarding Challenges in Relationships..

I'm a firm believer that once we know better we do better. What builds strong relationships/partnerships is learning from past mistakes and making better choices when dealing with situations in the future. Last year I thought that I had build a relationship with a parent and I shared information that I thought she would benifit from. I noticed some things about her child that I felt  as a teacher needed to be brought to the Mother's attention. I shared with her that maybe she should consider getting the child screen. Apparently she became defensive; two days later my director called me into her office and stated, she needed to speak with me concerning a complaint. I knew right away who and what it was about. After this incident, I promised to never offer my opinion pertaining to someone child cognitive developmental skills. Yet, in the teacher hand book states "We as teachers must try and build personal relationships with parents, through effective communiation." This incident allowed me to understand that every parent is not going to be open to hear the the truth about whats best for their child. And every parent will not be able to accept constructive criticism when dealing with their child. I have learned new approaches when talking with parents regarding their child cognitive development.

No comments:

Post a Comment