Saturday, December 1, 2012


Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice


Describe in detail the consequences you might expect for the children and families with whom you work while you experience specific "–ism(s)" in your own life. Include specific examples either those you have and/or are experiencing or ones you would anticipate.

Being African American and a woman has been one of the hardest roles that I have played in this society. I would have to say my social identity has caused people in society to be bias, prejudice, racist and even stereotype me because of what they been raised to believe or what society has portrayed about the African American cultural. Our socialization begins before we are born, with no choice on our part. No one brings us a survey, in the womb, inquiring into which gender, class, religion, sexual orientation, cultural group, ability statues, or age we might want to be born (The Cycle of Socialization figure 6.1). With this being said; children are not asked to be born into this world a certain cultural and social statues. As an early educator, my moral responsibility is to treat every child and family with the up most respect that I can possibly offer; for they are human beings that deserve equality and fairness at all times.

The experiences that I encountered with certain isms were mostly in Minnesota. I remember my first year as an early childhood educator; I was not just the only African American teacher, but staff. Some days I enjoyed going to work and some days I did not want to get out of bed. It was not the staff that made me feels that way; it was some of the parents. I remember like it was yesterday, I had a child in my classroom who parents let it be none that they were prejudice against African American’s. Caleb would come to school and say to the African American children, “My daddy say that I can’t play with Black people because you’re poor or dirty.” He would always say very degrading and derogatory statements about African American children. The program director would talk to him about his behavior, but never addressed the parents. This went on for about three months until he was taken out of the program by his Mother. I felt terrible as the teacher because I was not able to stand up for the minority children because I dread being terminated or reprimanded. With the knowledge I have gained at Walden; has given me the opportunity to address issues and concerns pertaining to certain isms that occur in my classrooms. Uncovering, examining, and eliminating our own personal prejudice and discriminatory behavior are necessary task in the journey of becoming an anti-bias teacher (Derman-Sparks & Olsen 2010).        
          


Resources

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010).Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.


Readings For Diversity and Social Justice Figure 6.1, p. 46 ONLY

4 comments:

  1. Carrie,

    It is very sad that we live in a world where the color of our skin still determines what people think of you. As educators it is so important that we teach the students that we are all equally important. I have noticed that for the most part it really doesn't matter to the children, it's the parents who can't get past racism. As you said so eloquently what really matters is the love and respect that we demonstrate to our students and that we know at the end of the day that we have made a difference in the lives of the children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, you are so right..Racism is a learned behavior, that may never end. How sad! Thank you for your response.

      Delete
  2. Carrie,

    I love how you explained that we are born into our culture. I feel as children do no have a problem with the culture they are born into, its the adults that have issues toward others. I wish we could maintain a child's point of view sometimes and view things through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaitlin, your right, it is not the child, that has the problem it is whats being instilled in the child. As I stated to Teresa, racism is a learned behavior. We are not born with certain biases, we are taught this through family members; like grandparents who still have that mentality about certain cultural groups and etc. Thank you for your responsible.

      Delete