Saturday, May 19, 2012


Perspective on diversity and Culture


Their definition of culture
Their definition of diversity

*My Mother definition of culture is what we appreciate and value.
My Mother definition of diversity is being different.

*My friend Bethany is Caucasian and she lives in Minnesota, her definition of culture is what we are raised to believe or accustom to.
My friend Bethany definition of diversity means to her is accepting other’s for who they are.
*My Auntie Rosie was raised as a Catholic, and she feels that culture is defined as acceptance of what we value and believe in.
My Auntie definition of diversity is understanding that we are different people, who have various beliefs.

Which aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied in this course are included in the answers I received—and what are some examples? My reflection of the answers pertaining to culture and diversity that I have studied that’s included in the above answers would be each person elaborated on what their beliefs and values were in regards to culture and diversity in similar ways.
Examples are the values and beliefs that certain cultural group holds; such as acceptance, understanding our differences and beliefs we are accustom to.
Which aspects have been omitted—and what are some examples of such omission?
I don’t believe that there was anything my friends and family omitted, because each person was honest and straight forward about the questions being asked.     
In what ways has thinking about other people’s definitions of culture and diversity influenced my own thinking about these topics?
I would have to say as individuals we all hold certain values, norms, and beliefs. This may come from how we were raised and what we were taught as children. We have the right to our on beliefs, I feel that it is important to be able to conversant, and listen to others in regards to their culture values and how they feel about diversity, because this helps us to understand why we are different and unique. And when this happens, you gain a better perspective of others.  



No comments:

Post a Comment