Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Personal Research Journal

The topic of interest is "Poverty" and the total affects it has on children and their families from coginitve developmental delays to social and emtional barriers. I believe this issue is so important because there are many children in America who are suffering from poverty. I work in a low-income community, and many parents are receiving some type of government assistance to help take care of their families. I feel if I can offer children and families the best quality care in early childhood education programs, than I'm helping to break the cycle of longivity of poverty. Making the difference in the lives of these children and families is what I plan on doing.

Research states that children who are born into poverty grow-up as adults in poverty. I personally feel that this is a myth. I believe the cycle of poverty can end with the help of politicians, neuroscientist, early educators and all who make important decisions in this field of study. My dream is that one day research is revised and seen as a myth. This epidemic can stop, if children and families best interest to heart is taken into consideration.

If children are introduced to high quality education taught by highly qualified teachers and teachers with many years of experience; than children would be able to reach their highest potential when entering into Kindergarten and elementary school. Research shows that children who graduate high school and go on to college are more than likely to get higher paying job that increase their salaries; so they can provide for themselves. While providing high quality education to children, I hope to be able in providing families with reliable resources within the community that they may benefit from. Some families just need a helping hand to encourage them to do better. My passion as well as my mission is to do just that.

Grasping research and understanding the importance of it to my career in early childhood field. Always staying ahead with new information/data is another way of providing the best quality care for children and families.

Sharing Resources is another way to help colleagues better understand the importance of helping to fight the cause of poverty.
The Children Defense fund a non-for-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., USA, that advocates on behalf of children through a variety of activities http://www.cdf.com/ is an excellent website that offers up to date information on children and familes dealing with poverty.

What have you found to be difficult?

What has help you so far with research?

Please share resources?
      

5 comments:

  1. Poverty is an excellence topic. I live in a city with a high amount of poverty. I will be very interested to hear more about your research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing the passion behind my colleagues' choices for their research simulations! I truly hope that your efforts help to break this myth of poverty. I can't wait to see the result of your study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caarie, I enjoyed reading your research simulation. I view an excellent panel discussion on CNN about Poverty In America..the panel was very deverse and interesting conversation and goals were addressed throughout the program. It would be worth your effort to see if you can pull it up. Keep up the great work and keep the passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in a rural area in South Africa I can first hand see the effects of poverty on children and their learning ability. I am also in the fortunate possition of being in contact with a principal of a rural school who states that after children have walked 10-15 km to catch a school bus from early hours in the morning with limited nutrition they battle to concentrate during lessons. The things we take for grated during our forming years are complex for children living in poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Children living in poverty are always a hard issue. My center where I work offers free childcare based on the fact that these families are within the poverty level. The purpose is to get children ready and hopefully give them a better transition into kindergarten. Not only do we work with the children but with the family as a whole. This can be housing, budgeting adult school and family management. All of these services are offer to help families get out of the poverty line. It will great to see what information you find about families and poverty issues, good luck.
    January 16, 2012 6:38 PM

    ReplyDelete