Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Thoughts on the EC Field...

I just wanted to share with Dr. Klein and colleagues a major issue/concern that is being addressed under the TN Licensure Law for the well-fare and well-being of children in Memphis, TN.

*Issue regarding quality and early childhood professionals being discussed where I work:
One of the local issues that have been a major concern in the City of Memphis is Corporal punishment. In the last six months to a year there have been complaints from children and parents around Memphis, TN area, stating Children are being neglected, mistreated and corporal punishment has been inflected on some children. The City of Memphis Licensure has sent out emails and flyers with policies, procedures and guidelines when disciplining a child under the TN Licensure law. Now this is another issue on top of  tunes of inequality children and their family has to endure, when enrolling their child/children in childcare in TN.

                             *What opportunities or requirements for professional development exist:

With child abuse and neglect towards children has always been a major concern for me, I feel that teachers “NEED/MUST” be screened and background checks should be mandatory in every state. And when I say screened, I’m talking more along the lines as psychological screening. Many EC educators that are not experienced or have the education to understand/work with children or not equipped to handle the challenges that comes along with the job. Professionally speaking; extended training and highly effective training should be giving at least once a year for educators to continuously understand the ever changing field.

                                                                *My Professional goals:

I have many professional goals, but my major professional goals would be to continue working hard to make EC development fun and exciting for children. Always remember that the job I do is not about me, but all about children and their families. I look forward to many changes in this field; some good and some bad, but I will take the good and make do with the bad, to strive for a better future when working with children. My long-term professional goal; would be contributing as much as I can so that children and families will benefit from it. As Dr. Vasquez stated, “contribution today will pay off for tomorrow.”

                                 Professional Hopes, Dreams, and Challenges:

I hope that one day the early childhood field want be so complex; reasoning being research and studies has shown that children need to be introduced to early child education, so that they can develop high cognitive, social and emotional skills. EC education is so important in a child’s life.

My dream is to see the early childhood field prosper and recognized like any other field/career. And that children and families across this nation will be respected and welcomed into EC programs because we all want what is best for our children; and cultural has nothing to do with that.

Challenges: Because EC education has been so complicated for many many years, it will take just as long to fix, reinforce and demand policies and put them into practice to change the stigma/reputation placed on this field. And this is from EC educators pay, politicians laws, to issues with enforcing these laws. The list goes on. There will forever be challenges that we must face in this ever changing field. As EC educators, knowing and staying up-to-date on what is going on locally and internationally is imperative.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us and bring it to our attention. I resently have had experience with a family along these lines and the child is now pulled from the specail ed program. It broke my heart to hear this boys story but I am thankful for the strong willed and passion mather he has who is fighthing for him.
    We do need screen educators in the field and if we expect our staff to be educated and trained then I feel this would not be an issue. It may put some people out of work because they wont qualify for the position but if they have a passion for teaching young childern then they will take the steps need to become qualified.

    ReplyDelete