Saturday, July 21, 2012


Week 4 Blog Assignment


Communication Experience:

This week’s assignment had me to think long and hard about how effective are my communications skills. My daughter and I scored the almost the same in communication anxiety inventory and verbal aggression. My daughter says that I’m a good listener at times, but I have a tendency to rudely interrupt her as she speaks; of course I do not recall. I did score moderate in the verbal aggressive section; which means I attack the problem but not the person. This too me is not healthy because the word ‘attack’ sounds so bullying. I never want anyone to feel that their conversation or character for that matter is being attack. Having and building healthy relationships with my family, colleagues, children and their families are important to me, and in doing so effective communication is imperative.

In this case it is important to how others see me as a communicator. I’m in a career to help change, make a difference in the lives of children, and effective communication is the key in doing so. I have had many people to tell me that I’m a good listener and theory enjoy talking to me in regards to their problems; whereas this is where I did well on the assessment. I’m empathetic and concerned about the needs of others, which can cause me to have poor judgment, definitely me all the way.

Example: I can talk with a person and automatically give them the benefit of the doubt by trusting them, without even getting to know them on a personal level. I’m too trust worthy, which is not good because I’m putting myself in uncompromising situation that may cause improper judgment, and this is not healthy.

Public Speaking is another technique I need to inquire when working with children and families. My passion is to help fight children living in poverty; therefore, I may need to address many issues on a state, local and even international level. Public speaking to me is one of my greatest fears; a fear that I’m willing to take on to better myself and future career in the early childhood field.  

Effective communication can be rewarding in your professional as well as personal life. When you can communicate to other’s in a normal and sensibly manner than your communication style is effective. I believe effective communication is a life time commitment and forever needs to be enhanced; for as long as we live, work, interact, and meet people, we have to learn how to communicate with others.      

2 comments:

  1. Carrie,

    We share a similar quality in being to trusting of others. I often take on too much of another person's responsibility and even their problems. I commend you for acknowledging your fear of public speaking and also your willingness to overcome this fear. As a young girl, I was afraid to speak in church and at school. My third grade teacher worked with me on public speaking and rehearsing. I've loved speaking ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    I think as parents, we can get caught in the trap of mindlessly listening to our children in the business of what we do daily. It takes a concentrated effort on my part at times to listen to my three children. I have learned to communicate to them when I am not able to give them my full attention and schedule a time to listen without distraction. This isn't always applicable, but the effort I have made has led to a more intimate and trusting relationship with each of them.

    ReplyDelete