Thursday, July 12, 2012


Week 3 Blog Assignment




Think about the cultural diversity you see in your colleagues at school, in your neighborhood, in your workplace, and also, possibly, within your family.

When I think about cultural diversity with my colleagues at school, neighborhood, workplace, and within your family; I can say that we share some of the same values.
*My colleagues are striving for higher education to enhance their lives and career.
*My neighborhood is diverse and most of us are working class families.  
*My co-workers are educators who support education to better the lives of children and families.
*My family is my cultural; we share the same norms, values and beliefs.

Consider all the aspects that make up culture, including race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, varying abilities, and so on.

Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?

In all honesty, I would have to admit that there are times I have communicated differently with other groups and cultural. I believe when people have different values, ideas, thoughts, feelings about certain beliefs than you will have different views points. I also believe that we have to respect others and their beliefs; whether we agree or disagree.     

If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?

I have a co-worker who does not believe in Christ; whereas I do. She has made degrading remarks about the bible, religion, churches and etc. I feel she does not have to value or share the same beliefs as myself, but at least be respectful of my views. We have been working together for three years now so things between she and I have gotten better, but I’m still mindful of our conversations and viewpoints. In other words I chose not to speak to her about any of my personal thoughts, opinions, and beliefs

Based on what you have learned this week, share at least three strategies you could use to help you communicate more effectively with the people or groups you have identified
This week topic was based on the “Platinum Rule” and my theory of the platinum rule is to treat other’s in the way you want to be treated.


Strategies

1. Always be respectful of other cultural and their beliefs.  
2. Never judge or become bias of other’s.
3. Allow the person you are communicating with a chance to speak and be heard, and agree to disagree.

2 comments:

  1. It is sometimes hard to create a relationship with someone that has different religious background than you. I think that religion is one of those areas that almost everyone believes they are right and there is no other way for it to occur. By having mutual respect and understanding, individuals can get past those differences but respect has to be there. I am very sorry that you have been hurt by this person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be difficult to maintain respect when you feel disrespected by a colleague or co-worker. I have this issue at work with our authority figure, the Program Director. The director has strong opinions on certain issues and tries to make everyone afraid if they do something wrong. However, I feel that if you are not treating your employees with respect, they will be less likely to do so toward the director. This brings the environment morale to an all-time low as well. Learning to respect each other and accept everyone's differences will help reach a better level of respect.

    ReplyDelete