Saturday, November 17, 2012



Observing Communication


About a week ago, I was at the laundry mat washing my comforters and I noticed this young lady and her son on the other side of the laundry mat. The mom looked to be in her early twenties and about six months pregnant. The little boy could not have been any more than about four or five years old. At this age, children are active and very talkative. He would ask the mom a question and she would tell him to set down and shut-up. At first, I did not pay much attention their conversation, until maybe about the fifth time I heard him say, “Mom I got to use it.” She than said to him again, “You better sit there and be quit, before I spank your butt, with your ugly butt” (another choice of words, but will not say)” The little boy seemed to be very sad and afraid of the mom. He probably needed to use the restroom for a while but was too afraid to ask. I’m the first to not intervene into other people business, but it took everything in me not to say something to this mother.
  
What I gathered form this communication observation is that the mother is very young and do not have much parenting skills and her patience is very short. This child is growing up with a parent who degrades him and makes him feel unworthy. Children need to know who they are, respected and grounded in themselves (Laureate, Lisa Kolbeck, 2010).

What the parent should have done is listen to what the child was saying, and not shut him out. Children should never be closed off with walls of our assumptions (Laureate, Lisa Kolbeck, 2010). It seemed as though the child did not even exist to the mother. A child needs to be heard, instead of just being seen.

As an early childhood educator it is crucial that we break the barriers of ineffective communication, especially with children. I refuse to be that parent I witnessed in the laundry mat. Children need to feel that their voice will be heard at all times in our schools, home daycare  and in early educational programs; if this is not demonstrated early in life than as they become older, they will feel inadequate in their communication skills.

I was raised in a very loving environment but my father felt that children should be seen and not heard, and for many years I would allow things to transpire in my own life; whether it was on my job or in my personal relationships and would not address the issues because I was afraid of losing my job, friends, or an significant other. I had to learn what effective healthy communication really was, and now that I know and understand how important it is, I reflect that in my everyday world. My reflection is looking in the faces of children and seeing myself as a child. This helps me to understand that children are just little people who communicate differently from adults, but communicate the best they know how. When an environment is created for children to feel welcome, love and safe than they feel accepted; this opens doors for them to communicate freely.    




Reference


Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Welcome to an anti-bias learning community [video]. Strategies for Working with Diverse Children. Baltimore, MD: Author.


4 comments:

  1. Teresa,
    There are lots of children experiencing this kind of treatment from their parents and it is saddening that we cannot do much to prevent it from happening. Some families are probably in a lot of stress trying to survive from day to day living. I hope the mother will take her time and reflect on what matter most for her child. Sometimes we foget our children because we are so busy and we think about providing our children the material things that will make them happy without realizing that validation and acknowledgement is what they need. What matter most is talking and listening to our children-that is one way of knowing and understanding them better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anabel, thank you for your response, but I'm not Teresa, this is Carrie Bell's blog page. And yes, this parent seemed to be very much stressed out, but the real sad part behind this; she is pregnant with her second child. I hope and pray that she recognizes the damage that she reflecting on him by calling him out of his name. Parenting skills is something she definitely needs.

      Delete
  2. When I read your observation, I truly felt like you had stepped into some of the conversations I hear on a daily basis with some of the children in the community I work. It is good to know that I am not the only one who experiences this or even the only one that is emotionally impacted by constantly hearing this. It is heartbreaking. Earlier this week I realized that often times I do not fully listen to children and sometimes make assumptions about what they are going to say before they do. This is an area I plan to improve. Thank you for reminding me of its importance. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo Ann, you are so very welcome. I truly believe growing up in a home where children are to be seen and not heard, has really helped me in the area of working with young children. They are a reflection of me and who I once was, and that was a child who had a voice that wanted and so disparately to be heard..

    ReplyDelete