Saturday, October 20, 2012


Week 7: Start Seeing Diversity Blog: Creating Art




Color Is Blind



When we were born we did not see color
For you and I are Sisters and Brothers

We see different faces and hear different names
But when I see you, we are all the same

We live in a world where we are judged by our race
But when we go to Heaven, God only sees our face

I’m not a poet, but I write from the heart
I judge not; for one day I hope to see God

I end this poem with peace, hope and love
Diversity was created from Heaven above….



When I began to write this poem I was not sure how to even begin. But once I start to write the words just start to flow. As I stated in my poem, I’m not a poet, but I have the love for all people. When I see diversity I see the work of God. This course has allowed me to take my own blind folds off and concept the true meaning of diversity. Acceptance and understanding of other cultural differences is the path we to equal and justice for all. As I stated in my blog poem; color is blind and we as human being needs to be open-minded/heart of others that do not share our same beliefs. Since taking EDUC 6357, I’m more knowledgeable about diversity on a whole new level. I see things from a totally different perspective. I smile more at other cultures; not just at school but within the community. I have always tried to live my life by the ‘Platinum Rule’  treat others in the way I want to be treated, and this course has help me even more in doing so. What I hope to present in my poem is for other’s to see that we are born color blind. Racism, prejudice, biasness and stereotypes are all learned behaviors. This can end if we accept each other for who we are. Parents, educators, and adult’s within our communities all have a role to play in teaching children of empathy of other’s.  I hope that our generational children to come are taught to love everyone in spite of.             


3 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    I believe this course made us realize that all of us have hidden talent. The talent which we can use to advocate for equity and diversity around our school, community and even the whole nation- one step at a time.
    Your poem were simple but powerful- sending a message how important it is to value each others contribution and respect one another.
    Thank you for your sharing your beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you mentioned the Platinum rule in your blog. I think it is a great revision of the Golden rule. Rather than us treating others the way we want to be treated, we should get to know the person,their background and culture, and then treat them the way we think they want to be treated. I loved you poem as well. I also stated that I am not a poet by any means, but wanted to step outside my comfort for a moment. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your poem. Like you, I am now noticing culture everywhere I go and not just within the walls of my classroom. I am constantly thinking about my conversation and how others perceive my thoughts and actions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete